Friday, April 3, 2009

Burgers, grease and skid plates




Started the day out with cutting the hole through the firewall and running the three 3/8 inch fuel/coolant lines through the hole and into the front wheel well. I also lined the hole I cut with a rubber gasket to protect the fuel/coolant lines and insulated the lines. I then cut a hole in the rear wheel well into the back seat area where it comes out under the plastic covering in the car. There is a space that you may run the lines up over the wheel well and into the back cargo area in the Golf. Real easy to do. Presently I am eating dinner of burgers and beer with Marty and his friend Adrienne, two of my latest followers. More later, back to work!

We were up til midnight working on the cars (Kat is at work mom). Marty is replacing his struts and break master cylinder. I began to make my stainless steel skid plate. I have seen pictures many conversions, but none with a skid plate to protect the fuel line and coolant lines as they run beneath the car. I grabbed a pic of a conversion with the lines exposed, It is the bottom picture. The coolant lines are the black hoses and the fuel line is blue on the right side of the picture. On a large car like the Mercedes this may be OK, but on a TDI there is very little clearance and exposed fuel/coolant lines present a problem, especially in winter. Here is a picture of my stainless steel skid plate on my Jetta. The plate runs from wheel well to wheel well and all the lines are under it proteced and insulated.

No comments:

Post a Comment